Reading this will make your head spin
Here’s some interesting tidbits, including a few Astros franchise records, from tonight’s 18-1 win over St. Louis:
18 runs, 23 hits for the Astros:
* The 18 runs are the most for the Astros since the 18 on August 26, 2003 vs. the Dodgers. Houston has scored 19 in a game twice (May 11, 1999 vs. PIT, June 25, 1995 vs. the Cubs).
* The 17-run win (Astros 18, Cardinals 1) is the largest margin of victory in franchise history (old record was 16, accomplished twice – 4/29/74 vs. the Cubs – 18-2; 6/7/67 at the old Busch Stadium, 17-1 over the Cardinals).
* The 23 hits are a season high and tied for the 3rd-highest total in Houston franchise history…23 hits are also the most for Houston in 40 years, since the 23 on that same June 7, 1967 win at the old Busch Stadium vs. the Cardinals. (The club record is 25, twice).
* The 18 runs are also the most scored by Houston in a game vs. St. Louis…the Astros previously scored 17 runs three times.
* Two of the six highest single-game hit totals in Astros franchise history (23 tonight, 22 last Sunday) have happened in a five-day span from Sunday through tonight.
J.R. Towles – 4×4, two doubles, one home run, and a club-record eight RBI.
* The 8 RBI for Towles sets a franchise record. It’s also tied for the 3rd-highest total by a rookie in a single game since 1957 (with five others) and the most for any Major League rookie since James Loney drove in 9 for the Dodgers on Sept. 28, 2006 at Colorado.
* The four Astros who had driven in 7 runs in a game were Jeff Bagwell (twice, Aug. 13, 2000 at Philly and July 7, 2001 at Kansas City), Pete Incaviglia (6/14/92 vs. SF), and Rafael Ramirez (8/29/89 at the Cubs).
* Other than Loney, the only other Major League rookie (at least since 1957) with more RBI in a single game was Fred Lynn, who drove in 10 on June 18, 1975 for the Red Sox in a 15-1 win at Detroit. Lynn won the AL Rookie of the Year and the MVP that season (near-unanimous in both cases)
* Stating the obvious, the franchise-record 8 RBI also sets the Astros rookie record, which was 6, accomplished twice (Chris Truby, 8/6/2000 vs. Montreal; Russ Johnson, 8/7/1999 at the Cubs).
* Towles’ 8 RBI is also the 2nd-most in the Majors in 2007, trailing only the 10 by Garret Anderson on 8/21 for the Angels vs the Yankees.
* The 8 RBI is the most for a catcher in a game since Ivan Rodriguez drove in nine on April 13, 1999 for Texas at Seattle (tied for 2nd-most since 1957 for a catcher).
* The home run in the 9th inning was the first of Towles’ Major League career.
* Towles’ 3 extra-base hits also ties a club rookie record, accomplished several times and most recently by Luke Scott on Sept. 19, 2006 vs. the Reds.
* Cody Ransom scored five runs, tying the franchise record for most runs scored in a game (accomplished four times, most recently by Chris Burke on June 13, 2006 at the Cubs).
* Houston rookies Josh Anderson and J.R. Towles combined to go 7×10 with 11 RBI in the win. Anderson is hitting .444 (16×36) during the month, while Towles is at .412 (7×17).
* Wandy Rodriguez’ 8.0 innings pitched were his most in a road game, and his previous high was 7.0 on April 26 of this season at Pittsburgh.